Injured on the job? Slip and fall accidents are common in the workplace and can lead to weeks of pain and rehabilitation for you. There are steps you should take to protect yourself in the event of an accident. As always, contact an Ocala workers compensation lawyer to get thorough legal advice.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
A workplace fall can have a wide variety of causes. Some of the most common include cluttered walkways, slippery floors, and uneven flooring, such as torn carpets or broken tile. However, there can be causes not directly associated with the floor, such as poor lighting and the lack of handrails.
After a Slip and Fall
Take the following measures after a workplace accident:
- Get medical attention. Report to an ER or your doctor for a thorough examination and documentation of your injuries.
- Report the accident. Notify your immediate superior and make sure it travels up the chain and to all appropriate channels.
- Inspect the scene of the accident. Are there loose floorboards? Items on the floor that cause hazardous tripping? Check for anything that could cause a fall.
- Take photographs of the area. Pictures of the floor and the surrounding area can provide evidence for your case.
- Get witnesses’ contact info. If there were people who saw your fall, get their names, phone numbers, street addresses, and email addresses. You should give this info to your workers compensation lawyer in Ocala and let them do the interviewing.
- Write down everything you can remember about the incident.
- Hire an attorney. The insurance company wants to pay you as little as possible. A good attorney will negotiate your claim and make sure you are well represented.
If you have suffered from a slip and fall injury, contact the Law Office of JW Chalkley III, PA at (866) 629-7511, or fill out the online contact form.