Workers compensation insurance protects Florida employees who sustain an injury or become ill at work. Those who qualify for benefits may receive assistance in a variety of ways, including reimbursement for medical treatment, long-term disability payments and short-term income replacement.
Of course, before you can receive payment for your workers compensation claim, you must ensure you properly file it. While not everyone needs a lawyer to help them navigate the complex world of workers compensation, hiring a workers compensation attorney in Ocala is a good idea in certain cases.
How To File for Florida Workers Compensation Benefits
In Florida, employers who have more than four employees must carry workers compensation insurance. Note, however, Florida law does not require employers to provide workers compensation coverage for independent contractors.
The following is the procedure for filing a Florida workers compensation claim:
• Notify your supervisor immediately of your injury or illness. Florida requires you tell your employer about your condition within 30 days of when you discovered symptoms.
• Get medical treatment. When you seek medical care, you must notify the treating physician that you sustained your injury or acquired an illness at work.
• File a claim. As soon as you can, you must file a complete claim with the Florida Division of Workers Compensation. Be sure to file your claim within two years of your injury or illness. If you have difficulty preparing the claim, a workers compensation attorney in Ocala can likely assist you.
When To Hire an Ocala Workers Compensation Attorney
If any of the following applies to you, you may want to work with an attorney to file your workers compensation claim:
• You have a pre-existing condition
• You have a serious injury or illness
• You receive other government benefits
• Your claim has been denied
No one wants to get hurt at work. If you have sustained an injury, contact J.W. Chalkley III, P.A. today for a free consultation at (866) 629-7511 OR fill out the convenient online contact form.